Rwanda National Police yesterday rescued a one and half year old baby from a pit latrine, an incident that occurred in Kinyinya sector, Gacuriro cell in Gasabo district.
According to Police investigations, the baby identified as Gift Ishimwe fell into an approximately ten meters deep pit latrine yesterday at around 3PM after it had been left unattended to.
Police investigations also say, the child crawled a few meters from the house before he fell into the pit latrine.
Residents in the neighborhoods who heard the baby screaming from inside the pit latrine echoed Police for intervention.
Using its advanced machines, Police managed to scoop the baby from the deadly pit latrine while still alive though she had started getting respiratory difficulties.
Speaking to the press, Superintendent Bertin Mutezintare, the Commanding Officer (CO) of Fire and Rescue Brigade said they gave this little angel oxygen as first aid before she was rushed to Kibagabaga Hospital for further medical treatment.
Meanwhile the baby is in good health conditions waiting to be discharged any time soon.
According to Supt Mutezintare about fifteen similar incidents occurred last year across the country and Police managed to save five people.
Superintendent Albert N. Gakara, the Central Police Spokesperson criticized negligence of some parents noting that such incidents would be prevented if parents took their full responsibility and kept watch of their children.
The Central Police Spokesperson lauded citizens who called Police to intervene and save Ishimwe who would have possibly died in the pit latrine had it not been for timely information sharing.
Supt Gakara urged residents to maintain the good cooperation with security organs, a need he explained would lead to remarkable prevention of crimes in the country.
In a related development, the Police Fire and Rescue Brigade Unit this morning intervened to put off fire that gutted Isango Star Radio. Speaking to a journalist from Igihe.com, Justin Mugabo the owner of Isango Star Radio said the fire accident was sparked off by poor installation of the house under which the radio operates.
Police managed to save a few equipment from the studio though many others got destroyed in the deadly frames of fire.