Following a deadly fire in Muhima last week in which two children died, the police has warned the public against the illegal commerce in inflammable products.
The fire in Muhima was caused by petrol and diesel that were illegally sold at the house. The parents of the deceased children sustained severe burns and are in intensive care at CHUK.
“Inflammable liquids such as petrol, diesel and kerosene are to be sold only at petrol stations, not in houses or elsewhere,” said Emmanuel Hitayezu, the police spokesman for the City of Kigali. “Operations are under way to arrest anyone dealing in such substances.”
Already, in an operation held in the Muhima area following the fire, the police seized about 50 litres of diesel, twelve empty jerrycans that were being used in the illegal business, and arrested two people.
“There are people who buy and store petrol, diesel and paraffin in their home yet these are highly combustible liquids that can easily ignite,” Hitayezu warned
He warned that operations will continue against such illegal and disastrous dealings, and appealed to the general public to join efforts against such by buying these products from petrol stations and report people involved in this black market.